What is Paella?
Paella is a typical Spanish recipe. It is made in different styles in different regions of Spain according to the local ingredients available. This recipe was invented in Valencia, the east coast of Spain. If you ever visit Valencia, Hotel Hospes Palau de la Mar serves the best paella. Trust me, once you have this, you would just fall in love. So, How To Make Paella? Let’s Start…
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp each hot smoked paprika and dried thyme
- 300g paella or risotto rice (cooked)
- 3 tbsp dry sherry or white wine (optional)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
- juice ½ lemon, other half cut into wedges
- handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 900ml chicken stock
- 400g bag frozen seafood mix (if you are a vegetarian you can skip these ingredients)
Wait a minute, Have You Registered On Tribe. Earthlyspeaks.? If You are already logged in you may continue with The Paella (Yummmm)Team- Tribe. EarthlySpeaks.
Paella Recipe – Instructions, Let’s Begin…
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan or wok. Add 1 chopped onion and soften for 5 mins.
- Stir in 1 tsp hot smoked paprika, 1 tsp dried thyme and 300g paella or risotto rice, stir for 1 min, then add in 3 tbsp sherry or white wine. The wine is optional.
- Once it has mixed, stir in a 400g can of chopped tomatoes with garlic and 900ml chicken stock. If you are making a vegetarian version, you can add other vegetables like capsicum, baby corn, etc.
- Season and cook, uncovered, for about 15 mins, stir it continuously until rice is almost tender and still surrounded with some liquid.
- Stir 400g frozen seafood mix into the pan and cover with a lid. Simmer for 5 mins, or until the seafood is cooked through and the rice is tender. (Skip this step if it’s veg)
- Squeeze over the juice of ½ lemon, sprinkle with a handful of flat-leaf parsley and serve with wedges from the remaining ½ lemon.
Your paella is now ready to be served. You can garnish it with chorizos or chickpeas. You can layer some tomato slices and cheese on top of the rice.